Not all lawyers are bad. One very nice lawyer has done the terms and conditions. We don’t want life to get anymore complicated by anyone getting into trouble so let’s stick to these rules.
- We are Divorce Club Limited (“we” or “us”), and we own and operate this website (“Site”).
- Your use of the Site is subject to:
- our “Talk” Forum Rules (“Forum Rules”), which can be found here.
- You are responsible for:
- all access to the Site using your Internet connection, even if that access is by another person; and
- maintaining the confidentiality of your passwords or other account identifiers chosen by you, and all activities that occur under your account.
- By registering on the Site, you agree that:
- you are 18 years of age or older;
- your account and password are personal to you, and will not be used by anyone else to access the Site;
- you agree to notify us immediately if you become aware any unauthorised use of your password by others.
- We will use reasonable efforts to ensure that the Site is available at all times. However, we cannot guarantee that the Site, or any individual function or feature of the Site, will always be available and/or error free. In particular, the Site may be unavailable during periods when we are implementing upgrades to, or carrying out essential maintenance on, the Site.
- The intellectual property rights in the Site and all of the text, pictures, videos and other content made available on it are owned by Divorce Club Limited, as to which all rights are reserved. You may not print or otherwise make copies of any such content without our express prior permission.
- We provide the Site on an “as is” basis, and make no representations as to the quality, completeness or accuracy of any content made available on the Site. To the maximum extent permitted by law, we expressly exclude:
- use the Site for any fraudulent or unlawful purpose;
- use the Site to defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the rights of others, including without limitation others’ privacy rights or rights of publicity.
- impersonate any person or entity, falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity in connection with the Site, or express or imply that we endorse any statement that you make;
- interfere with or disrupt the operation of the Site or the servers or networks used to make the Site available; or violate any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of such networks;
- transmit or otherwise make available in connection with the Site any virus, worm, Trojan horse or other computer code that is harmful or invasive or may or is intended to damage the operation of, or to monitor the use of, any hardware, software, or equipment;
- reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell, or otherwise exploit for any commercial purposes, any portion of, use of, or access to the Site;
- modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble any portion of the Site. If you wish to reverse engineer any part of the Site to create an interoperable program you must contact us and we may provide interface data subject to verification of your identity and other information;
- remove any copyright, trade mark or other proprietary rights notice from the Site or materials originating from the Site;
- frame or mirror any part of the Site without our express prior written consent;
- create a database by systematically downloading and storing Site content;
- use any manual or automatic device in any way to gather Site content or reproduce or circumvent the navigational structure or presentation of the Site without our express prior written consent. Notwithstanding the foregoing, we grant the operators of public online search engines limited permission to use search retrieval applications to reproduce materials from the Site for the sole purpose of and solely to the extent necessary for creating publicly available searchable indices of such materials solely in connection with each operator’s public online search service.
- We reserve the right to revoke these exceptions either generally or in specific instances.
- The Site may provide links to other websites and online resources. We are not responsible for and do not endorse such external sites or resources. Your use of third party websites and resources is at your own risk.
- You may create a link to this Site, provided that:
- the link is fair and legal and is not presented in a way that is:
- misleading or could suggest any type of association, approval or endorsement by us that does not exist, or
- harmful to our reputation or the reputation of any of our affiliates;
- you retain the legal right and technical ability to immediately remove the link at any time, following a request by us to do so;
- the link is to the homepage of this Site at the following URL: divorceclub.com;
- the link will not cause this Site or any content on this Site to be:
- embedded in or “framed” by any other website; or
- otherwise displayed in a way different to the way originally intended by us.
- We reserve the right to require you to immediately remove any link to the Site at any time and you shall immediately comply with any request by us to remove any such link.
Last Updated: 31 October 2016
DIVORCE CLUB – “TALK” FORUM RULES
Your registration obligations
- In consideration of your use of Talk, you agree to:
- provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself when filling out our registration form; and
- maintain and promptly update your registration information to keep it true, accurate, current and complete.
- If we have reasonable grounds to suspect that any information is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, we have the right to suspend or terminate your registration.
- Your screen name will be used to identify you in online communications and in Talk. Have fun with your screen name, but note that vulgar or offensive names will constitute a breach of these rules.
- If you are offended by another user’s screen name, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org Similarly, if you are unsure about whether a screen name you would like to use may breach these rules, please email us at the same address for advice.
- We are concerned about the safety and privacy of all our users, particularly children. Please remember that our chat areas are designed to appeal to a broad audience. Accordingly, it is your responsibility to determine whether any use of the chat areas and our site is appropriate for a child.
- You understand that all data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages or other materials (“content”), whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, are the sole responsibility of the person from whom the content originated. This means that you, and not Divorce Club Limited, are entirely responsible for all content that you upload, post or email via our chat areas and our site. We do not control the content posted via any chat or forum area, and therefore do not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of the content.
- Under no circumstances will we be liable in any way for any content, including (without limitation) any errors or omissions in any content, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of your use of any content. You agree that you must evaluate and bear all risks associated with the use of any content, including any reliance on its accuracy or completeness. You also understand that, by using Talk and our Site, you may be exposed to content that is offensive, indecent or objectionable.
- You agree that you will not use Talk or any part of our Site:
- to upload, post or email any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, pornographic, obscene, libellous, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
- to harm minors in any way;
- to impersonate any person or entity, falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity or disguise the origin of any content;
- to “stalk” or otherwise harass another;
- to collect or store personal data about other users;
- to upload, post or email any content that you do not have a right to transmit under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships;
- to upload, post or email any content that infringes any intellectual property rights of any party;
- to upload, post or email any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising, promotional materials, “junk mail”, “spam”, “chain letters”, or any other form of solicitation;
- to upload, post or email any content that contains computer viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software, hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- to violate any applicable national or international laws or regulations;
- for any commercial purpose; and
- to the effect that the use by us of any grant under the licence conferred by 12 below would result in us having any obligation or liability to another party.
- You acknowledge that we do not pre-screen content, but that we shall have the right (though not the obligation) in our sole discretion to move, modify or remove any content that is available on or via Talk, or our Site generally.
- You grant to us a worldwide, royalty-free, irrevocable, non-exclusive licence (including the right to sub-license and/or transfer) to use, reproduce, sell, record, lease, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, display and otherwise exploit any content (in whole or part) you upload, post or email and/or to incorporate such content in other works in any form, media or technology now known or developed.
- You agree to indemnify and hold us and our subsidiaries, affiliates, employees, officers, agents or partners harmless from and against any direct or indirect loss or damage (including consequential loss and loss of profits, goodwill or business opportunities) arising from any third party claim in relation to any content you upload, post or email on or through Talk or our Site, your use of Talk and our Site, or your breach of the provisions of these rules.
- On being made aware of any such breaches, we may ban, delete or prohibit any content that relates to those breaches, or that we judge harmful to individuals or the rights of Divorce Club Limited or any of our affiliates, licensors or partners.
- We reserve the right to take whatever action we deem necessary to prevent such breaches, including the following:
- breaches we deem minor may result simply in receipt of a warning from Divorce Club Limited; or
- breaches we deem serious may result in your automatic ban from Talk and our Site generally.
- All incidents will be logged, and our decision is final in all such cases.
- Any breaches may lead to us reporting your activities to your Internet service provider, your employer, relevant authorities, and/or to legal action being taken against you.
DIVORCE CLUB – “TALK” GUIDELINES
- The Divorce Club’s (“DC”) forum (“Talk”) is not a pre-moderated forum. Our policy is to keep intervention to a minimum and to let the conversation flow. However, we are also here to support people. We reserve the right to delete posts (or ban posters) if it seems to us that so doing helps us keep to our aim. Full details of our Talk Rules appear here [hyperlink].
- We do have a few forum guidelines to make sure we keep Talk a safe, helpful, and hopefully fun place to hang out:
- No personal attacks
- No posts that break the law
- No trolling, intimidating behaviour, misleading or deliberately inflammatory behaviour
- No “troll hunting” (accusing someone publicly of being a troll)
- No spamming
- No preying on members for sex, money or other self-interested purposes
- No pretending to be someone else
- No using of someone else’s accounts
- No uploading of viruses or other malicious code or software
- No posts that contain hate speech, are threatening or pornographic; incite violence; or contain nudity or graphic or gratuitous violence.
- You can report any of the above to us using the “report” button above each post.
- Remember, we do not pre-moderate posts. We rely on our members to let us know about any posts that break our Rules or Guidelines.
General Ps and Qs
- Please use the same courtesy when posting messages on Talk as you would use when speaking to someone face to face.
- Please do bear in mind how difficult the divorce/separation can be. This space is here for some moral support, if you do not agree with someone, please respond politely and gently. If you cannot be both of these things, then please do not post.
- We believe in freedom of speech. However, we also believe in respect. Therefore, we will remove posts that we consider to break the law and/or are obscene, racist, sexist, disablist, ageist, homophobic, or that we consider unkind or unpleasant, once they are brought to our attention and/or we notice them. We will also delete any posts that contain personal attacks to anyone, on or off the forum.
- We understand that you might want (or need) to vent about an ex. If this is necessary, please anonymise the target of your anger so that they are not identifiable.
- At times, we might decide to delete a whole thread. If this happens, please do not start a new thread with the same content as it is likely to be deleted again.
Swearwords and offensive language
- It is not our policy to delete swearwords, but we will delete obscenities, sexist, racist, ageist and disablist language, and wording that is nasty and unkind. We presume you would not use this language when talking face to face with someone and so do not use it here (see general Ps and Qs above).
Posting links and spamming
- We want people to post links to other sites/blogs that other users might find useful or interesting, but we will delete anyone’s attempts to spam the boards with links, as a way of promoting their own product, services, survey or e-petition, as it annoys our members, and we would like to vet the standard and usefulness of any promotion on our site.
- If you would like to know more about promoting your product on Talk or the DC website, please contact us directly.
- If you would like members to know about an e-petition, then please also contact us directly.
Deleting a thread which you have started
- We don’t generally delete whole threads, as we try to make sure that everyone has their questions answered and comments heard. That said, our aim is to provide a supportive and understanding community. Accordingly, if you have a reason for wanting a thread which you started to be deleted, please report it to us and we’ll take a look.
Trolls and troublemakers
- We are, for the most part, an informative, supportive and friendly bunch of people. Unfortunately, there is always the possibility of trolls using the site to insult people and bully others.
- If you suspect someone of being a troll, please notify us immediately and we will monitor them. Do not “troll hunt” (accuse them publicly on the discussion thread). Firstly, we think that insulting back can lead to a bad atmosphere on the forum, and secondly, if you’re wrong, you could hurt someone’s feelings.
- We reserve the right to block any user from posting on Talk, for any period at our discretion.
- If someone is found to be a troll, they will be banned from future commenting and, in more serious cases, we may involve the police. If we feel that someone is not a troll but has a poor way of expressing themselves, we might try in the first instance to educate them regarding what is acceptable commenting and posting. If they fail to improve their online behaviour and continue to cause offense, we reserve the right to ban them from posting the website.
A note about disclosures of abuse
- We urge all our members to point anyone disclosing abuse to the appropriate authorities and/or seek professional support and advice in real life. We may also, where appropriate, post on the relevant discussion thread and link to these resources ourselves.
- For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998, Divorce Club Limited (“we” or “us”) is the “data controller” (i.e. the company who is responsible for, and controls the processing of, your personal data).
Personal data we may collect about you
- We will obtain personal data about you (such as your name, address, date of birth, contact number, email address, payment details, IP address, blog url and/or Twitter handle) whenever you complete an online form.
- For example, we will obtain your personal data when you register to use this website, send us feedback, post material, enter a competition, sign up to a service, purchase goods or services or contact us for any other reason. We may also obtain sensitive personal data about you if you volunteer it during the completion of an online form. If you volunteer such information, you will be consenting to our processing it for the purposes set out in 7
- Occasionally, we may receive information about you from other sources, which we will add to the information which we already hold about you in order to help us improve and personalise our service to you.
How we use your personal data
- We will use your personal data for the following purposes:
- to help us identify you and any accounts you hold with us;
- research, statistical analysis and behavioural analysis;
- customer profiling and analysing your purchasing preferences;
- marketing (see “Marketing and opting out” below);
- fraud prevention and detection;
- billing and order fulfilment;
- customising this website and its content to your particular preferences;
- to notify you of any changes to this website or to our services which may affect you;
- security vetting
- improving our services; and
- Unless you have asked us not to do so, we may contact you by mail, telephone, SMS, text/picture/video message, fax and/or email about products, services, promotions or special offers which may be of interest to you. If you would prefer not to receive any direct marketing communications from us, you can opt out at any time. See further “Your rights” below.
- Unless you have asked us not to do so, we may share your personal data with organisations who are our business partners and we or they may contact you (unless you have asked us or them not to do so) by mail, telephone, SMS, text/picture/video message, fax and/or email about products, services, promotions or special offers which may be of interest to you. If you would prefer not to receive any further direct marketing communications from us or our business partners, you can opt out at any time. See further “Your rights” below.
Disclosure of your personal data
- We may disclose your personal data to:
- other companies within our group;
- our agents and service providers (e.g. providers of web hosting or maintenance services)
- law enforcement agencies in connection with any investigation to help prevent unlawful activity; and
- our business partners in accordance with the “Marketing and opting out” section above.
Keeping your data secure
- We will use technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data. For example:
- access to your account is controlled by password and username which are unique to you
- we store your personal data on secure servers
- payment details are encrypted using SSL technology.
- Whilst we will use all reasonable efforts to safeguard your personal data, you acknowledge that the use of the internet is not entirely secure and for this reason we cannot guarantee the security or integrity of any personal data which are transferred from you or to you via the internet. In particular, we cannot guarantee or assume any responsibility for any of your personal data which is obtained by a third party as a result of hacking, interception or other form of criminal activity.
- We may monitor and record communications with you (such as telephone conversations and emails) for the purpose of quality assurance, training, fraud prevention and compliance.
Information about other individuals
- If you give us information on behalf of someone else, you confirm that the other person has appointed you to act on his/her behalf and has agreed that you can:
- give consent on his/her behalf to the processing of his or her personal data;
- receive on his/her behalf any data protection notices; and
- give consent to the transfer of his/her personal data abroad.
- recognise you whenever you visit this website (this speeds up your access to the site as you do not have to log on each time);
- obtain information about your preferences, online movements and use of the internet;
- carry out research and statistical analysis to help improve our content, products and services and to help us better understand our visitor/customer requirements and interests;
- target our marketing and advertising campaigns and those of our partners more effectively by providing interest-based advertisements that are personalised to your interests;
- make your online experience more efficient and enjoyable; and
- (where applicable) keep track of the items stored in your shopping basket and take you through the checkout process.
Third party cookies
- We work with third-party suppliers who may also set cookies on our website, for example Google, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Vimeo (which we use to display video content). These third-party suppliers are responsible for the cookies they set on our site. If you want further information, please go to the website for the relevant third party.
How to turn off cookies
- If you do not want to accept cookies, you can change your browser settings so that cookies are not accepted. If you do this, please be aware that you may lose some of the functionality of this website. For further information about cookies and how to disable them please go to: aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org.
Transfers of data out of the EEA
- When you signed up for membership of this website you agreed that we may transfer your personal data to countries outside the European Economic Area. We will always ensure any transfer is subject to appropriate security measures to safeguard your personal data.
Sale of business
- If Divorce Club’s business is sold or integrated with another business your details may be disclosed to our advisers, and any prospective purchasers and their advisers, and will be passed on to the new owners of the business.
Links to other websites
- You have the right, subject to the payment of a small fee (currently £10) to request access to personal data which we may process about you. If you wish to exercise this right you should:
- put your request in writing;
- include proof of your identity and address (e.g. a copy of your driving licence or passport, and a recent utility or credit card bill);
- attach a cheque in the amount of £10 made payable to Divorce Club Limited; and
- specify the personal data you want access to, including any account or reference numbers where applicable.
- You have the right to require us to correct any inaccuracies in your data free of charge. If you wish to exercise this right you should:
- put your request in writing;
- provide us with enough information to identify you (e.g. account number, username, registration details); and
- specify the information that is incorrect and what it should be replaced with.
- You also have the right to ask us to stop processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes. If you wish to exercise this right you should:
- put your request in writing (an email sent to email@example.com with a header that says “Unsubscribe” is acceptable);
- provide us with enough information to identify you (e.g. account number, username, registration details); and
- if your objection is not to direct marketing in general, but to direct marketing by a particular channel (e.g. email or telephone) please specify the channel you are objecting to
Our contact details